Sunday 24 November 2013

The Philosophy of Awesome

Fire and Ice brofist... Awesome!

The Philosophy of Awesome, is quite simply, my personal view on things. It's not that I think I'm awesome, it's that I encourage myself to be awesome. There's a difference, let me explain.

People who think they are awesome tend to ignore those around them, people who try to be awesome are considerate of others and generally have a positive view on things, while trying to improve themselves.

My Philosophy of Awesome started with a chance meeting with a gentleman whom I can't entirely remember in the Neurological Ward of Gold Coast Hospital...

Lying in my bed feeling sorry for myself, I wondered "Why me?" My thoughts were interrupted by the man lying in the bed next to me. We made small talk and as you do, ask the age old hospital question "How did you wind up in here?" He told me that he was working in his garage when his heart gave out, causing him to collapse in agony on the floor, He then spend the next 20 or so minutes, crawling to his bedroom to get his wife to call the ambulance, dropping in and out of consciousness. I asked him if he was scared, thinking he was going to die. He answered, "No... No I wasn't scared because I had no regrets. When I die, I'll die with a smile on my face."

I had regrets.

I wasn't ready to die and when I initially collapsed, the feeling was so surreal. I don't remember much about it, just that I had no control over what was happening. It was the most frightening moment of my life, not because I thought I was going to die, death is inevitable, but because I had regrets.

Did my wife know how much she meant to me?
Did I make my parents proud?
Was I a good person?

So many questions that would have been unanswered, questions I don't want to ask myself when I finally go.

The man next to me went for his big operation the next day, but he never came back. I like to think he made it, and just got moved to a different ward, and now he's somewhere fishing with his wife, being the awesome guy that he was. But if he didn't make it, I hope that he knows his words inspired my Philosophy of Awesome, and changed my life more than the stroke ever could.

So I encourage all of you to be awesome, and I will post an Awesome message most days to help encourage people. If you have an Awesome saying or thought for the day, please share it with us. Most importantly, be Awesome to each other. Let your partner know how much they mean to you, even if your fighting. Be good to other gamers online, there's no need for exchanging hateful words. Tell someone you appreciate them.

It's not about being a saint, it's about trying to be Awesome and encouraging others to be awesome too.

Let's be Awesome together!

-Sarge

*Want to see our Awesome messages of the day? Follow us on Facebook @ https://www.facebook.com/SOGwhatsitlike

No comments:

Post a Comment