Tuesday 1 October 2013

Nerd VS Wild - The EPIC adventure!

          

 Time for an EPIC Adventure

After conquering Mt Doom, I mean The Kings Highway, we drove into the sleepy national capital of Canberra. The first thing we noticed was the ACT was rather small. When we first pulled up to the Exhibition Park In Canberra, the local showgrounds, we thought it must have been a hike to the main city, but it wasn’t. EPIC (as it’s known) was an awesome place to camp. There were huge fields for Dogzilla to go mental and the amenities were spotless. The camp spots were large and with the exception of one of those damn hippie campers blaring music till 3 in the morning, the people were good.

We unpacked and because it was late in the afternoon, decided our EPIC Adventure would start tomorrow. After a night of Minecraft, we ditched the dog and headed into the capital. For such a small city there is plenty to do and keep you occupied. We visited Parliament house and toured around where this great country was run (or destroyed depending on your political alignment.) Parliament house was amazing and in it I saw the most Australian thing ever! You see, they have a cinema in Parliament House showing a documentary on how it was built. In this documentary I saw a moustached man, wearing stubbies, drinking a fosters beer, while eating a meat pie… It made me proud to be an Australian!


All jokes aside, our next stop was the Australian War Memorial. This building housed all the artefacts of how Australia forged its identity during the great conflicts of our time. My Father once told me that it was an emotional place and I always thought it couldn’t affect me; I lasted until the main lobby. First thing I saw was one of the landing boats used in Gallipoli riddled with bullet holes. I can’t even begin to imagine the horrors the Anzacs went through there. I wont go into detail describing the countless things you can see at the Memorial, but I will say one thing, when you get to the wall where all the servicemen and women are listed with poppies hanging out of the plaques, it’s hard not to get emotional. You almost need 2 days to see the war memorial. It is amazing and draining at the same time.



After exploring the city we picked up Dogzilla from the kennel and headed back to Chernobyl van. Cooking some snags on the gas stove I reflected on how awesome Australia is when suddenly my thoughts were interrupted by an unknown number calling on my phone…

To be continued!


No comments:

Post a Comment