Monday 2 September 2013

Nerd Vs Wild - The emergency accommodation surprise

1     The Emergency Accommodation Surprise

Determined to recover from the crappy start to our Anniversary, and Sally, I decided I would try to find a place to stay for the night and start again the next day. So I googled a dog friendly camp site in between Ulladulla and Batemans Bay. Being on crap reception I just hit the first thing that came up which turned out to be a places called Durras Lake North Holiday Park. “Hello?” the voice on the other end of the line answered. “Hi mate do you have a spare powered site tonight?” I asked, I heard some paper ruffling in the background. “Sure do mate.”
“Awesome” I say, “I got a dog is that alright?”
“Yeah that’s fine.”
“Sweet, see you in half an hour.” I felt kind of sorry for the guy because I was pretty short with him on the phone but I had been a shitty day and my mood matched. So Sally takes us on every possible unsealed road in between wherever we were and Durras North and finally we arrived at our destination. Now the thing is a lot of website have fancy phrases that draw you in to stay at their park and I noticed Durras North’s was “Shhhhh, It’s a secret.” I will tell you one thing now fellow travellers… Stay here. I have no idea why the place wasn’t booked out (I assume it has something to do with people have jobs to go to or something like that) but this was the most relaxing place I have been. I walked wearily into the office to have a lady point out all the dog friendly beaches and walking tracks in the area and even told me how to outsmart the GPS so I could take one of those fan dangled ”sealed” roads that Sally hasn’t heard of all the way into Batemans Bay.



Blending in with the locals
We picked a spot that backed onto the national park and were greeted by a group of Kangaroos just chilling out on the grass in front of our spot. I tried blending in but turns out our national icons are smarter than they appear and saw through my clever disguise. One thing I wanted to do since we set out on this adventure was have a campfire. Finally I got to make one and as I was making one I heard something fall on the chair behind me. I turned around and saw a king parrot who decided to pop in staring at me. I asked Court to get the camera and worried that us moving around would scare him away but luckily for us the little guy was a poser and even hopped on my shoulder for a photo or two.


Bird… Is the word
Our one emergency night ended up being 5 nights and I found that we could relax a little and forget about our crappy day. I declared we move our anniversary to the next day so we could have a better one. I ended up getting Court the “Lady and the Tramp” DVD and cooked her spaghetti and meatballs to try to recreate the famous scene from the movie. You know how they do the pasta thing in the movie? The part where they are both chewing the same bit of spaghetti and then they kiss? Well dear reader, don’t attempt this scene as all the warm and fuzzy feelings cannot overcome the fact you are eating saliva covered, half chewed pasta.


Not pictured: Girl germs

No comments:

Post a Comment