Wednesday 4 September 2013

Nerd VS Wild - The kings of the Mountain

1.      Kings of the Mountain
So after some relaxation time at Durras point, we decide it’s time to say goodbye to our kangaroo friends and head to Canberra, home of the slimy creature known as “The Politian.” We had heard from some friends that the Kings Highway can be an interesting drive, but we had no idea what was in store for us. “Don’t bother if it’s wet” was a sentence that was thrown around a bit at the christening and luckily for us it wasn’t raining… yet. So cruising along the Kings Highway I was starting to think that it wasn’t anywhere near as bad as people said, and even after it started pouring down it still wasn’t too bad, until we hit the start of the mountain climb…

It looked something like this…

Now a simple mountain climb doesn’t sound too bad unless of course you’re me, towing Chernobyl van which I swear puts the inertia brakes on just to piss me off, in a car that has about as much grunt as a guinea pig. Dear reader, if you think about visiting Canberra and are towing a van may I suggest you take the long way around and go through Cooma? Because we crawled up the mountain which is an incline of about 40 degrees with minimal overtaking lanes. By the way, when I say crawl, I’m talking about 20 kph, and in some parts I swear we were going backwards. My wheels were sliding and slipping so much I had to put 4WD mode on and what’s worse, was the sporadic stopping on the slope for lane closures. Once we got to the top I felt like I had conquered Mount Doom, only that probably would have been easier…

Aside from the perilous mountain drive the landscape all along the Kings Highway is something to behold. Wide open meadows surrounded by rolling hills accompany most of the drive, with the occasional gum tree popping up every now and then. At one part of the journey we had to drive through a small town named Braidwood. It’s the classic small country town that most people would love to settle down in. On the corner of the main street heading into town was a service station and after the mountain climb I needed to empty my bladder. The curious thing about service stations is the toilets sometimes have a sign saying “For customers only” but being the rebel I am, I managed to waltz right in without detection. My conscience however, got the best of me so after using their bathrooms I went into the shop and bought a packet of chips. I’m glad I did because shortly I read up on the history of the town which turns out to be a heritage listed town. Turns out Braidwood was like the wild west with stories of bushrangers and lawmen having shootouts that would put Clint Eastwood to shame.

It stopped raining after the mountain climb…

No comments:

Post a Comment