Friday 22 March 2013

Flashback Friday - Super Mario Bros

One of my fondest memories that I haven't lost is Christmas when I was 5 years old. Dad asked my brother and I to go help out in the kitchen where mum was making breakfast. As we helped mum set the breakfast table we heard something go "Ding!" My brother and I rushed into the living room to see that Santa had brought us a Nintendo Entertainment System, and he was nice enough to set it up. This was the day I discovered video games, the day I became a nerd. So what was the first game we got? Ninja Turtles, but then we also got this unknown game called "Super Mario bros..." Welcome to flashback Friday readers.

Super Mario Bros was a game that was built purely for gameplay. It is a side scrolling platformer where your objective is to collect as many coins as possible and reach the end of the level within 300 seconds. Along the way you will fight Goombas, Flying turtles and an annoying cloud that throws spiny enemies at you. Apart from the latter, you defeat enemies by jumping on them and to assist you you can also get some out-there power ups such as a mushroom that makes you big and a flower that allows you to shoot fireballs.

The game features about 8 different colors yet the sprites are vibrant and well drawn. The levels are designed well while some are easy and others, particularly the underwater ones, push you to your limits as you dodge cheep-cheep fish and avoid currents that pull you into the abyss. The game features a two player mode where players take it in turns finishing the levels as Mario and Luigi.

This game delivers the fondest memories for this old gamer and it paved the way for many modern franchises we see today. It's available on the 3ds and Wii/Wii U eShop and if you own one of these consoles is an essential purchase.

So What's It Like?
Since it was the original I'll compare it to something it inspired, Take Sonic the Hedgehog + 2d Platforming = Super Mario Bros.
I Give it 9/10.

-Sarge

No comments:

Post a Comment