Tuesday 12 March 2013

Nerd Vs. Wild!

So a few people have been asking about my trip around Australia last year. I can't remember all the details but luckily I wrote them down every day. So I will take these notes and post about my adventures around Australia in short little snippets. Don't worry, this isn't like the Hunger Games where you have to slog through  most of the book before the games actually start, I'll try to get to our misadventures quickly. so without further ado, here's my account of how things went down last year...


  1. In the beginning
Let me tell you a bit about myself. My name is Joshua. I park in the same spot at work, I sit at the same seat at a restaurant and even order the same thing every time. I follow the rules, avoid confrontation and try to get along with everyone…

So who is Joshua?

Just an average guy working an average job who never steps outside the box fearing he may upset the balance of his average lifestyle.

In short, Joshua is scared.

My wife however is the opposite… Free spirited, speaks her mind and isn’t afraid to try new things. The reason I now eat sushi? Courtenay. The reason I can now swing a golf club? Courtenay. The reason I eat Ravioli Milanese? Courtenay. So if you were to ask yourself “Why did these two idiots just pack up and leave with no idea what they are doing?” I don’t want to point fingers but the culprit would be Courtenay.

So in the space of 48 hours we have decided to quit our jobs, grab a caravan, and spend the next 6 months travelling around Australia. Still deciding whether to take our lapdog, a 38kg Labrador, “Ruby” along with us. Frankly I’m shitting myself. Court on the other hand has embraced the new decision and gone at her speed which is 1000 miles an hour and I am trying to slow and steadily come to terms with it. I ask Court “Honey so where are we going?” her answer?
“South!”
That’s about as planned as it is so far. So planning to go south, with a dog, and only about $6000 for fuel and accommodation, food and water and I guess we have to get dog food as well. Considering our dog eats about as much as a Tyrannosaurus Rex I’m not so sure our trip is going to last for the planned 6 months. Oh and did I mention we have never towed or setup a caravan for that matter?
Snoring wife and dog next to me, I conclude writing this page. The introduction to our life just beginning…

So that's my first thoughts on our trip. Tomorrow I'll post about saying goodbye. Goodbye to friends and family, and goodbye to a fairly impressive video game collection... Stay tuned!

-Sarge

No comments:

Post a Comment