Wednesday 13 March 2013

Nerd VS Wild Part 2


2. Saying Goodbye...


So here’s the thing about me, I’m a nerd. I work at a video games store, play video games and when I can’t play video games, I will talk about them and if no one will talk to me about them… well I guess I just think about them. I work hard, don’t get me wrong but when I get home I love to immerse myself in the latest adventure, hunting dragons or fighting monsters. I collect games, live games and sell games. Games, games, games.

But the thing is, even though they feature photo realistic textures and amazing graphics engines, the real adventure is the one I’m missing outdoors. I crave adventure yet lock myself away in a fictitious world. I want the adventure, and I want to explore but the little me inside my head tells me to keep playing it safe. I’m assuming my wife doesn't have a little voice inside her head…

So to try to show my lovely wife I’m committed to this trip, I decided to contribute some funds for our trip. I looked at my massive collection of over 170 games on my bookshelf and decided to sell them to my work. It was harder than I thought. Now I know you’re probably reading this thinking that they are just games, but this collection was hand-picked of the highest quality and the rarest games, all in pristine condition meticulously sorted in alphabetical order. Full of gusto, I walked into my store with 3 canvas bags full of games. My colleague looked at me with defeat and said, “Please tell me I don’t have to process that?”
The soul destroying process took over half an hour. When I sit out back, eating my grease filled fast food, I stare at my collection on the trade shelf. Some of my staff have already picked the best of the best. Vultures…

Even though I feel a sense of regret that something I worked on for so long is now gone, it also helps me realize how much of the real adventure is just ahead. We finally put the caravan up for the first time and it’s a mess. Canvas torn, fly nets ripped. It’s a rusted piece of shit to be honest. That’s why I’m writing this book. It’s easy to write about travelling when you’re an expert with a luxury caravan and a large amount of savings. Don’t get me wrong they have been where I am now, but I want to remember this moment. Hopefully when I’m older I’ll have a nice 4WD and a Caravan that doesn't look like it has been parked in Chernobyl for the past 15 years. But for now, I’m writing as a guy who only goes outside to grab McDonald's, or to drive to my job, who has no idea what he’s doing, and is pretty much flat broke.

If you want an expert opinion, you've come to the wrong place. Hopefully the caravan makes it back in one piece and I don’t accidentally burn something down when trying to make a campsite. It should be one hell of a ride.

Stay tuned tomorrow for our next installment of Nerd VS Wild!

No comments:

Post a Comment