Friday 15 March 2013

Transferable Gaming Skills

Let me paint the scene for you. My squad mates and I were pinned down behind a barn surrounded by hedges and rocky outcrops. We were taking heavy fire. I checked my rifle, I had only 26 rounds left and none of my squad had any to spare. A voice comes over the radio "Be advised you have enemy infantry moving to your location bearing south!"
I took a deep breath, raised my rifle and peeked around the corner. There were 3 soldiers and they were heading straight for us closing in at about 200 meters. I look to Luke, sweat beading down his face. "What do we do Sarge?" He asks. I frantically think of a plan. "Ok, you and pimpdaddy86 head to the rocks on the right. Ill draw their fire and when they return fire on me, you light them up!"
I lean out and squeeze off a few rounds "go go go!" I command my troops. As expected, the enemies returned fire on me, I get hit but nothing I can't shake off by ducking behind cover next to a medikit. I give Luke the order to fire, he engages the enemy neutralizing both tangos. A third soldier appears and Luke is hit, the rest of the squad secures the area and thus winning the battle. I found out later Luke respawned, and he was ok.

So why the long winded story? Victory was obtained using real world military tactics. Having studied MOUT (Military Operations in Urban Terrain) it gave our team an advantage in battle, this is a transferable gaming skill.

The reason I bring up this topic is tonight I'm set to race a friend in Forza Motorsports 4. He isn't much of a gamer, he thinks Mario is a multi format title and Master Chief is a TV cooking show. The one thing he has over me is his knowledge of racing. This friend is amazing at Forza due to his transferable gaming skill. I can't beat him even if I have a faster car and what's worse, he knows it.

So what transferable gaming skill do you have that has given you the advantage in gaming? It could be dancing in Dance Central, or racing in Forza. Leave a comment on our Facebook page.

-Sarge

No comments:

Post a Comment