Thursday 21 February 2013

Gamelust

Gamelust. We've all been there. Gamelust is my theory of when you first play a game. It's like when you first meet someone, it's all you can think about, it's fun, it's exciting and all you want to do is be around it. But Gamelust is a serious condition that affects many gamers today, and we know all too well what it's like when you come crashing down from your Gamelust high.

Recently, a friend of mine and a reader of What's it Like posted about Crysis 3. This particular gamer loved the game so much, they sent me about 5 messages in regards it. This is what got me thinking about Gamelust. You see, before I was the cool and calm gamer I am today, I was a notorious Gamelust offender. Let me tell you the story of the game that broke my heart...

It was a cold September morning. Fresh dew on the grass seeped through my socks as I rushed to the car. Today wasn't just any day... Today was the day it finally came out. A game so hyped up in my mind I had trouble sleeping the night before. I drove (obeying all traffic laws of course) to my local video game retailer where I had pre-ordered this particular title. I was at the store 30 minutes before it was due to open, I simply had to have this game. Snacks were prepared, drinks were cooled and controllers were charged... This was my day, a day dedicated to this one title.

After playing the game non stop, I started to tell my friends this was the game to end all games. This was the best game ever. This was The effects of Gamelust. A week or two later, my friends asked me what I was thinking and they informed me they had either returned or traded the game in. The offending title? It was 2010's Medal of Honor. A game I still like, but not love. Once the lust faded I realized it wasn't the one, it wasn't even special, it was just a game.

So gamers, have you or a friend ever fallen victim to Gamelust? Why not dob yourself or your friend in on our Facebook page?

Ill wipe the bitter tears of disappointment away now.

-Sarge

No comments:

Post a Comment