Tuesday 19 February 2013

Our Friend Rhys

I want to share a story about a friend and reader of What's It Like. His name is Rhys. When I first met Rhys he was a shy, quiet and very nervous kid fresh out of school applying for a job at a video games retailer I worked for. Nathan and I sat him down in the food court and started firing questions his way about how he could contribute to our team while he stared wide-eyed at us like a deer in the glare of headlights. That moment in history led to him being nicknamed "Bambi."
Bambi fit in well with our team and he was a good kid.

A few years later I get a text from my old boss Nathan that made my heart sink. The message told me that Rhys had been hit by a car and he was in a coma. He might not make it. There were no other details told and the last few words "he might not make it" stuck with me for a long time.

Rhys was put in a medically induced coma and I heard no further news.

Not too long ago I got back in contact with an old collegue named Briana. It turns out she was engaged to Rhys and I was pleased to hear he was alive and... ok. You see he had to have some of his skull removed to reduce the risk of brain damage. As most of you will know, brain injuries take a long time to heal and inhibit your bodily functions making the simplest of tasks difficult and frustrating.
 

Recently, he had another bout of surgery to replace his skull fragments and all went well considering the circumstances. However, It was brought to my attention that he is having a rough time recovering with symptoms that Sarge can relate to such as memory loss and intense headaches. So What's it Like wanted to help him take his mind off things and called an old friend, Nathan Whitehouse, who along with his team at Event Cinemas has given What's it Like a double pass to give to Rhys and his lovely fiance Briana to help them take their mind off things.

I would like to wish Rhys a speedy recovery from his surgery and extend Nathan and the team at Event Cinemas a big thank-you for the tickets!

Got a recovery message for Rhys? Why not pass it on through our Facebook page here (http://www.facebook.com/SOGwhatsitlike)

Keep on gaming Rhys and all the best!

-Sarge

No comments:

Post a Comment