Thursday 8 August 2013

Nerd VS Wild - The Grey Nomads...

After a few hours of driving we managed to find our next stop, Coopernook State Forest. Court and I were both nervous driving down an unsealed road for the first time. I joked to Court saying that in about 10 minutes we would run into our first axe murderer, and I was unsure about staying here as it was our first unpowered site and it was away from “Civilization.” (No video game stores around!)
My trepidation was eased as we drove into a clearing and saw a herd of “Grey Nomads” It was amazing seeing them in their natural habitat. The Grey Nomads are peaceful creatures, who constantly migrate to stay away from “Our kind” (young idiots.) I did see a few of the nomads look in fear when we stepped out of the car, perhaps fearing I play a percussive instrument or was planning to set up a rave party, but once we unpacked, argued, unpacked a bit more and argued again, the nomads accepted us as one of them. The best thing about the Nomads is that they are like the neighbor you always wanted but never had. They always give a friendly wave when you pull up and some of the alpha males will even offer to back your van in! After we set up the van Court decided to nap and I decided to observe the Nomads in their natural habitat.

The Nomads generally graze under the awnings of their pristine campers and have a steady diet of cups of tea and biscuits. They care not for Nintendo’s, blurays or mp3 players. They simply sit there talking to their significant other enjoying the view. I imagined what Court and I would be like in the future provided this trip doesn't kill us. I guess there’s something romantic about an elderly version of us still strangling each other arguing about how to wind the roof up on Chernobyl van or who’s putting the van brakes on. One thing I have observed about the Grey Nomads is they seem strictly diurnal, meaning as soon as the sun goes down they retreat into their shelters for the night. Meanwhile Court and I are busy burning snags and cooking pasta at 10pm.



Coopernook is a beautiful forest about 400km north of Sydney. It’s free to stay there and I would recommend it to anyone. My only advice is to take a porta-potty or something because at the time we visited there were no amenities apart from a hire-a-loo which is hard to find in utter darkness and also is frequented by local grey nomad herds. The camping area itself is meadow about 2 football fields long and is surrounded by towering pine trees that sway blissfully in the wind. For someone like me who finds it hard to detach from my technology filled life, I found myself somewhat at ease and if there were showers or better toilets I would have stayed there until my caravan battery went flat and the gas ran out. Unfortunately for us, we had to be in Sydney the next day so we could only stay the one night. The next morning we packed up the Chernobyl van and while Court attended to Dogzilla and her dinosaur sized poop, I plotted a course for St Ives Showground.

Next Time on Nerd VS Wild we take a shortcut to disaster! Find out what happened tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment